(Poached Eggs, English Muffins, Taylor Ham, Spicy Tomato Sauce, and Kale Pesto, by Reggie Soang)
A simple brunch egg dish to start off your weekend right!
For the latest on COVID – 19 Home Cooking Series, I present you:
Poached Eggs and English Muffins, w/ Spicy Tomato Sauce and Kale Pesto
1 Can (28 oz.) Canned Tomatoes
(You’d be able to use this sauce for other meals)
1/2 of a medium size onions, diced
12 Cloves fresh garlic
Salt, to Taste
1 Tablespoon of dried chili (personal heat preference)
1/2 Cup EVOO
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
2 cloves Fresh Garlic
1 Cup EVOO
7g Salt, just less than 1 Tablespoon
1 Bunch of Kale
1 & 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
1 English muffins, split in 2, buttered
2 pcs Taylor Ham
- In a medium pot, gently cook your onions and garlic with olive oil until soft. Add canned tomatoes and simmer until thickens (this could be done well ahead, or just use any red pasta sauce you have on hand)
- To make Kale Pesto, use a food processor to blitz pine nuts and garlic first until fine, add kale and pulse until the greens have been finely chopped. Slowly drizzle olive oil into the food processor with motor running. Adjust the amount of oil for consistency.
- Add grated parmesan and salt for seasoning.
- To cook taylor ham, use a non-stick skillet and turn the heat up to medium. Slash few cuts around the ham to help cook evenly. Cook taylor ham until crispy on the edge. Remove and set them on paper towel to drain off excess fat.
- Maintain the heat at medium, put the buttered side of English muffin down in the skillet and toast until fragrant and browned.
- To poach your eggs, maintain your pot of water at simmer (in between 80 to 90 Celsius if you have a thermometer). Add a splash of vinegar to help egg whites coagulate. Use a whisk to create a gentle tornado in the center of the water and drop your eggs in. Set a timer for 3 minutes.
- To check doneness of poached eggs, gently poke around the edge of the yolks; if the whites are little bouncy, then the eggs are done. (3 to 3 minutes and 15 seconds cooking time is usually my sweet spot)
- To Serve, put Taylor hams on toasts, scoop some tomato sauce onto hams, and put the eggs on top. Spoon some kale pesto onto eggs and sprinkle some black pepper if you’d like. Drizzle some olive oil around, and voila. Bon Appetit!