For Apple Fillings:
1.5 pound chopped apples, into 1-inch chunks
1 lemon, zested
1 lemon, juiced
1 + 1/4 cup (205g) dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon, 135g) butter
2 tablespoons (13.5g) corn starch
3 tablespoons (45g) water
1/4 cup chopped dried apricot, 1/4-inch chunks
4 tablespoons shaved almonds
For the cake topping:
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons (25g) sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1 orange zested
Vanilla Ice Cream
- Pre-heat oven at 375F.
- To make the filling, mix chopped apples with lemon zest, lemon juice, dark brown sugar and set them aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter with ground cinnamon, ginger, and allspice.
- Add the apples to the butter mixture and gently cook them until soft, about 10 minutes. Mix the corn starch with 3 tablespoons of water, and then add to the apples. Bring the pot to a simmer and cook until the fillings are thick and saucy. Add the chopped apricot to finish.
- To make the cake topping, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and butter into a food processor. Blend until it forms a breadcrumb consistency. Alternatively, rub the butter into the flour until it forms pebbles. Mix in orange zest.
- Mix eggs, milk, and vanilla extract and combine with the flour mixture. A pancake batter consistency should form.
- Using a ramekin or any casserole, place the apple filings at the bottom, and then top off the fillings with the cake batter, about 1/2-in thick. Sprinkle the top with shaved almonds.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown. Dust the spiced apple bake with confectioner’s sugar and place the ice cream right on the top. Bon appétit!