For the latest Chef Reggie’s cooking series:
Fried Rice with Pickled Cucumbers, Spring Onions, and Framed Eggs
Serves: 2 portions
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons salt, plus 1 more teaspoon
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup fresh peas
1/4 cup diced carrots, medium dice
6 tablespoons cooking oil, divided in half
1/2 cup diced red onions, small to medium dice
1/2 cup chopped spring onions
4 cups cooked/day old long-grain rice
2 eggs, beaten
NY-Style Deli Pickles, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Ground black pepper
Grated Parmesan, optional
- Make pickled cucumbers by adding 2 teaspoons of salt and sugar and mix them together. Let them sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water up to a boil and cook fresh peas for 10 seconds and chill them down in cold or ice water. Use the same boiling water and cook diced carrots until tender.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and add half of the oil (3 tablespoons). When the oil shimmers, add red onions and sauté until tender, and then add spring onions and carrots.
- Keep sautéing red onions, spring onions, and carrots until they are caramelized. Set them aside on a plate. Wipe off the skillet and put it back on the stove.
- Add the rest oil to the skillet. When the oil shimmers, add the beaten eggs. Stir up the eggs and chop them into little chunks with a wooden or rubber spatula. Add the rice into the skillet and fry the rice with the eggs.
- When the rice is heated and becomes fluffy, add the soy sauce and stir to combine.
- To finish the fried rice, add the pea and the veggies from step 4 back into the skillet and toss to combine. Grate fresh Parmesan on top, and serve hot. Bon appétit!