(Ramen, Broccoli Rabe, Chickpeas, Chicken, and Poached Egg, by Reggie Soang)
Ramen is one of the most popular dishes in NYC. I love ramen because it gives me the flexibility to cook and add anything I want. My recipe is only a guidance to a dish that bridges different cultures and heritage. You could use either fresh or instant ramen. I chose to use instant ramen because of its availability and the fond memories of my childhood when I first learned how to boil water.
For the latest COVID – 19 Home Cooking Series, I present you:
Ramen, Broccoli Rabe, Chickpeas, and Poached Egg
Serves: 2 adults & 2 children
For the Broth:
1 Onion, peeled and cut in half
2 heads Garlic, split in half horizontally
4 scallions, split into green and white parts
1 teaspoon White Peppercorn
1 teaspoon Szechuan Peppercorn
1 and 1/2 qt. water, plus 1 cup for later
3 cups of chicken stock
For Seasoning the Broth:
1 & half Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 & half teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoon White Wine
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon MSG
For Scallion Oil:
10 pieces Scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup Canola Oil
1 teaspoon MSG
2 Tablespoon White Soy Sauce (or regular soy sauce)
To Serve with:
Ramen, I use instant noodles
Cucumbers, thinly sliced
Marinated Chicken (optional)
Habanero Chilies (optional)
- To make the broth, ingredients facing down, char onions, garlic, and white part of the scallions until blackened in a cast iron. You could also use a broiler if you don’t own a cast iron
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a pot and add water. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes
- Strain the stock after 45 minutes and you’d end up with about 3 cups. Add the same amount of chicken stock and 1 cup of water.
- To make aromatic scallion oil, thinly slice scallions and bring up the oil to 350F. If you don’t have a thermometer, put a piece of bread in the oil and wait until it turns golden brown. Pour hot oil over your scallions and cover for 3 minutes.
- Season you hot scallion oil with soy sauce and MSG right away.
- Season your stock according to the recipe, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- To blanch broccoli rabe, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook your broccoli rabe for 3 seconds. Dunk broccoli rabe into cold water immediately to stop cooking process
- To poach eggs in their shells, bring 1000 ml (1000g) of water to a boil, turn off the heat and add 200 ml (200g) of cold water. Add 4 eggs (it has to be 4 eggs to have the right temperature inside of the pot to cook your eggs…more ramen this week!)
- Put a lid on and set a timer for 17 minutes. After timer goes off, let eggs sit outside of the pot for 5 minutes before using
- To marinate chicken, I saved the chicken used for my stock and marinated it with scallion oil
- To serve: cook your ramen according to the package’s instructions. Ladle broth into your bowl and add your noodles. Start garnishing your ramen bowl with broccoli rabe, chickpeas, marinated chicken, and cucumbers. Finally, crack open a poached egg. Spoon scallion oil over the garnishes and sprinkle chilies around for added heat. Bon Appétit!