(Bubble and Squeak, with Fried Egg and Spicy Tomato Sauce, by Reggie Soang)
One of the best ways to use up your root vegetables and leftovers is to make Bubble and Squeak; mash everything together and fry it gently until nice and golden brown. What is a “Bubble and Squeak”?…you’ll have to try it, because it comes from the sound of bubbling, squeaking, and sizzling of your food! A wonderful way to fill up your apartment with the smell of love and joy!
For the latest COVID – 19 Home Cooking Series, I present you:
Bubble and Squeak, with Fried Egg and Spicy Tomato Sauce
Serves: 2 adults and 2 children
640g Potatoes, roughly mashed
2 cup Sautéed Onions
1 cup Kale, cooked and chopped
1 cup Broccoli Rabe, cooked and chopped
2 Tablespoon Grain Mustard
4 Tablespoon EVOO, plus more for frying egg
2 t Salt
Spicy Tomato Sauce, as much as you like
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Mash up the potatoes roughly with a fork and mix with the rest of the ingredients
- Form patties with the potato mixture to about 1/2 inch thick
- Heat up oil in a non-stick skillet on medium high heat until shimmering. Place potato patties into skillet and fry them until golden brown. Flip the patties and put the skillet into the oven for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once the second side is golden brown, your patties should also be nice and warm on the inside. Take the patties out and drain them on paper towels. The patties will be fragile, so don’t worry if they fall apart.
- Wipe off the oil in skillet and put it back on medium high heat. Heat up 2 tablespoons of EVOO until it shimmers. Crack your egg and let it fry and sizzle, season with salt and pepper. Right before the egg is done, put in a little knob of butter and baste the egg white to finish. This is your sunny side up egg. If you want over-and-easy, base the surface of the yolk couple times with your hot butter, a nice trick to cook the egg without having to flip it.
- Serve your Bubble and Squeak with the fried egg on top, and place a dollop of spicy tomato sauce on the side. Bon Appétit!