(Fried Rice, by Reggie Soang)
Fried Rice is one of my favorite dishes to make. Nothing I use in this dish is ever expensive, yet when put together, it is nourishing and fulfilling. Fried rice is also a great dish to use up the leftovers. After I learned the basics of making delicious fried rice, sky is limit on what I put and how I season, as long as I have the essentials: rice, eggs, scallions, sausages (or ham), oil, soy sauce, and salt. The rest is really up to the cook!
For the latest COVID 19 Home Cooking Series, I present you:
Serves: 2 adults & 2 children
1 onion, medium dice
1 bag (1 pound) defrosted frozen veggies (I prefer “classic veggie blend”; peas, corn, and carrots)
4 pcs hot dog, cut 1/4 inch wide on bias
2 pcs Italian Hot Sausage, cooked and cut 1/4 inch wide on bias
1 bunch scallions, cut 1/4 inch wide
1 pcs fresh chilies, minced
4 eggs, beaten
8 cup long grain white rice, 1 day old at least
1 cup of oil
4 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
Salt to Taste
MSG to Taste
White Pepper to Taste
Dried Chili to Taste
Egg, for fried egg
Chili Oil (optional)
- Turn your stove on high and have every ingredients and tools set up within your reach
- Ladle 2 tablespoons of oil into your pan (I used a non-stick skillet) and wait for it to shimmer. Add onions and season with a pinch of salt. Cook on high heat until it gets caramelized, set aside in a mixing bowl
- Back on high heat, ladle two tablespoons of oil and wait for it to shimmer. Add your veggies and cook for couple minutes until heated through. Set aside in the same mixing bowl with onions
- Back on high heat, and wipe off the skillet if necessary, add 2 tablespoons of oil and wait until it shimmers. Add sausages and get some color on the edges. Set aside in the same mixing bowl with veggies
- Back on high heat, ladle 2 tablespoons of oil and wait for it to shimmer. Add half of the eggs and season with salt. Use a rubber spatula to scramble the eggs and cut them into small chunks. Add rice, scallions, and fresh chilies and season with salt, MSG, white pepper, and dried chili, 1 teaspoon at a time. Keep the heat on high and cook the rice. The rice should be sizzling. Deglaze with half of the soy sauce and stir up the rice. When the rice is coated with soy sauce, set it aside in a mixing bowl and repeat the same process.
- Once all the rice is cooked, mix in the veggies. Adjust the seasoning with soy sauce, salt, MSG, white pepper, and dried chili.
- Wipe off the skillet and put it back on high heat to fry an egg. Add 2 tablespoons of oil into the skillet and add an egg. Once the egg white gets a little bit of color and crispy, add a tiny knob of butter and spoon melted butter around the edges of the yolk to cook the egg white. Leave the yolk runny for sunny side up egg.
- To plate, put a pile of fried rice in a bowl and put the fried egg on top. Add chili oil for some heat. Bon Appétit!